Tata Power takes over power distribution in Western and Southern Odisha

by Jan 7, 2021

Tata Power has taken over the management and operations of WESCO and SOUTHCO. Going forward, WESCO and SOUTHCO will operate under the company name TP Western Odisha Distribution Limited (TPWODL) and TP Southern Odisha Distribution Limited (TPSODL) respectively. According to the order issued by the Odisha Electricity Regulatory Commission (OERC), Tata Power holds 51% of the equity with management control and the State-owned GRIDCO will have the remaining 49% equity stake in the company.

TPWODL will now be responsible for the distribution and retail supply of electricity in five circles of WESCO covering 2 million consumers with annual input energy of 7520 MUs in areas of Rourkela, Burla, Bhawanipatna, Bolangir, Bargargh. On the other hand, TPSODL will be responsible for the distribution covering 2.3 million consumers with an average energy input of 3470 MUs and retail supply of electricity in six circles of SOUTHCO in areas of Ganjam City, Berhampur, Aksa, Bhanjannagar, Jeypore, and Rayagada.

Due to this acquisition, TATA Power’s distribution circles will expand to the western and southern parts of Odisha with a geographical spread of more than 47,000 sq km each. It will manage a network of more than 100,000 CKT. KMs. each for a license period of 25 years. In addition, with the inclusion of two additional distribution utilities, Tata Power has almost doubled its consumer base from 5.2 million to 9.5 million, across Mumbai, New Delhi, the Central part of Odisha, and Ajmer. Link to the news: https://www.tatapower.com/media/PressReleaseDetails/1829/tata-power-takes-over-power-distribution-in-western-and-southern-odisha-from-1st-january-2021-onwards